Local Offer / SEND Information Report

All Greenwich maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s and or disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

This should be viewed together with:

  1. London Borough of Greenwich Local Offer for SEN
  2. School’s SEND policy
  3. School’s accessibility plan
  4. School’s PHSE policy
  5. The school’s anti-bullying policy

The Royal borough of Greenwich Local Offer is full of information and resources for children with SEND and their families and can be accessed via the following link: http://familiesinformation.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/kb5/greenwich/fsd/local...

Your Child’s Class Teacher, He or She is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation).
  •  Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc..) and  discussing amendments with the Inclusion Leader as necessary.
  • Setting individual targets and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


Contacted by appointment through the school office or by direct daily contact.


The Inclusion Leader, Sara Vincent

 She is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and or disabilities, and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
    • part of planning ahead for them.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, ASD Outreach etc.
  • Updating the school’s SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • To provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN and/or disabilities in the school) to achieve their potential.
  • Supporting your child’s class teacher to set specific individual targets for your child to make progress and achieve.
  • Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school.


Contacted by appointment through the school office or email





A Teaching Assistant (TA) may be allocated to a pupil with exceptional special educational needs and/or disabilities and whilst they take a very valuable role in your child’s education we would prefer that questions regarding your child’s learning and progress are directed to the

Class Teacher or Inclusion Leader.

Of course, as a school we welcome daily dialogue between parents and TAs on how a child’s day has been and we do actively encourage this continued feedback.



The Head Teacher, Sue Slack,

She is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEN and/or disabilities. She will give responsibility to the Inclusion Leader and class/subject teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.


Contacted by appointment through the school office.


The Governor responsible for SEND, Mandy Gilliard

She is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN and/or disabilities.
  • Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves his/her potential in school.


Contacted by appointment through the school office.

Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be all provided by the class teacher or may involve:

  • Other staff in the school
  • Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

All children at Gallions Mount School will receive Class teacher input via good/outstanding classroom teaching.

  • The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task.


Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning can access specific small group work (Intervention Group). This group may be

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or (most often) a Teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to close the gap between your child and their peers.
  • He/ She will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress.
  • A Teaching Assistant /teacher (or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist)) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plans, or a recommended programme.


Some of the children accessing intervention groups may be at the stage of the SEND Code of Practice called SEN Support, which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school after putting strategies in place at class level.


Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through whole class good/outstanding teaching and intervention groups may access specialist groups run by outside agencies eg, speech and language therapy.  Some children may access individual support as a guide of around 20 hours and below.

  • If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to good and outstanding class room teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the school in enabling your child to make progress.
  • Before referrals are made you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • If it is agreed that the support of an outside agency is a way forward, you will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better.
  • The specialist professional will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set targets which will include their specific professional expertise
    •  Your child’s involvement in a group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group or sensory circuit
    • A group or individual work with outside professional
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support or group support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.


For children whose  learning needs are Severe, complex and lifelong and need, as a guide, 21hours or more, of support in school:

Support  is provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Or if your child has had this type of support for some time, may be provided by a statement of Special Educational Needs.  This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual and small group teaching,(as a guide 21 hours or more in school), which cannot be provided from the resources already delegated to the school.


Usually, if your child requires this high level of support they may also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  •  Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service, Occupational therapy service, Physiotherapy and/or CAMHS
  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process and you can find more details about this in the Local Authority (LA) based Local Offer, on the Royal Greenwich web site:  www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
  • Your child’s school/setting will have been putting together a profile of your child’s aspirations and needs over time, and you will have been involved in Team around the Child (TAC) meetings as part of this process. The school will then meet with you and other professionals involved, and decide if it would be helpful to apply for a statutory assessment, and agree any additional information and evidence that should be included from you, other involved professional and them.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will look at the advice provided and ask you and any other professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs, if this is not already included, or information is missing. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEN Support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and as a guide, they need 21 hours of support, or more, in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the SEN support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan or Statement (if your child still has one) will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.


  • We will first invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and speak to the Head teacher and Inclusion Leader.
  • If other professionals are involved, a team around the Child (TAC) meeting will be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts.
  • Those starting in our Nursery and Reception classes will be visited at home by the class teacher or nursery nurse to discuss strategies used at home and to gain an understanding of your child’s strengths and interests.
  • The Inclusion Leader may visit your child if they are attending another provision.
  • We may suggest adaptations to the settling in period to help your child to settle more easily.
  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher/key worker initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Inclusion Leader or Head teacher
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEN Governor.
  • When a teacher or a parent has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher will raise this with the Inclusion Leader.
  • Schools also have meetings every term between each class teacher and a senior staff member in the school to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as expected.
  • If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will make a decision about whether to monitor this or set up an intervention group and will inform you.
  • If your child is still not making expected progress the school will discuss with you
    • Any concerns you may have
    • Discuss with you any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

To discuss how we could work together, to support your child at home/school.

  • School staff value ‘Child Voice’ and encourage pupils to be involved in planning and setting targets.
  • Pupils are involved in responding to feedback on their work.
  • School have a pupil led School Council.
  • Pupils are invited to attend parent consultation evenings with their parents. 
  • 1:1 dialogue with pupils gathers their views for review meetings.
  • The school budget, received from Greenwich LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of the needs of the children currently in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the Inclusion leader discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school and decide what resources/training and support is needed, including
    • the  children getting extra support already
    • the children needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.
  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

A - Directly funded by the school;

  • Learning mentors
  • Counselling – Place2Be
  • Family Liaison officer
  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • Additional Educational Psychology input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • CAMHs Outreach

B - Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school.

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with  visual or hearing needs
  • STEPS (Assessment, advice and resources for children with literacy or numeracy difficulties including Dyslexia)
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Professional training for school staff to deliver medical interventions
  • Waterside Behaviour advice service
  • Parent Partnership Service (to support families through the SEN processes and procedures).

C - Provided and paid for by the Health Service (Oxleas NHS Trust) but delivered in school

  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy (some Special schools only)

D - Voluntary agencies

  • National Autistic Society
  • Greenwich Parent Voice
  • The Inclusion Leader’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.
  • The school has a school development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as ASD, dyslexia etc..
  • Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with an SEND.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g from the ASD Outreach service, STEPS and Sensory service or medical /health training to support staff in implementing care plans.


Training takes place on a regular basis. If you would like to hear about the training which is currently taking place or has taken place by the staff members in the school, please speak to the Head teacher or Inclusion Leader.

  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that learning tasks are adjusted in order to enable your child to access their learning as independently as possible.
  • Specially trained support staff can implement the teachers modified/adapted planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs and increase your child’s access to what is on offer.
  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing and numeracy as well as progress in other areas, as appropriate, such as attendance, engagement in learning and behaviour.
  • If your child is in the Summer of Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show  smaller but significant steps of progress.  The levels are called ‘P levels’.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Some children on SEN support will have individual targets which will be reviewed with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEN/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The Inclusion leader will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • A range of ways will be used to keep you informed, which may include:
    • Contact book
    • Letters/certificates sent home
    • Additional meetings as required with the Class Teacher or Inclusion Leader.
    • End of Year Reports
  • Your child will access Pastoral Support through adults working closely with them on a daily basis.
  • Your child will take part in PSHE lessons regularly.
  • If there are further concerns over your child’s emotional needs he/she may be referred to a School Learning Mentor, who will support your child in lessons, or in small group sessions.
  • You will be consulted by the Inclusion Leader if there are further emotional needs identified and your child may access Place2Be counsellors in school.
  • For deeper emotional needs parental consultation will take place and a referral to CAMHs may be made.
  • We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school.  This is to ensure that we are doing similar things to support them both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.
  • The Inclusion Leader (or Head teacher) is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The Inclusion Leader will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.
  • Individual targets will be reviewed with your involvement each term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

In addition:

If your child is undergoing statutory assessment you will also be supported by the Children’s Services SEN Team.  They will ensure that you fully understand the process.

We work within Greenwich guidelines, the SEND support document can be viewed via this link;


  • The school is accessible to some children with physical disability via hand rails.
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • The school ensures that children with poor fine motor control have access to specific pencil grips, scissors, writing slopes and support cushions as directed by the OT.
  • We consult with the virtual school – Head Teacher and SENCo as appropriate for personalised support as required. We also liaise with the allocated social worker, to ensure all agencies are working collaboratively to develop an appropriate support package (PEP/EHCP/Statement) for each child.
  • We review the child’s needs and progress regularly, for example before entering the school to ensure a smooth transition from their previous setting and then at regular intervals.
  • We ensure Pupil Premium Plus is being used to effectively enable the child to meet their outcomes
  • The Inclusion Leader ensures that training and policies are supportive of  looked after children with SEND
  • The Designated Governor for LAC works to ensure provision is enabling LAC with SEND to make good progress.

We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEN/and or disabilities and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. 


  • If your child is moving to another school:
    •  We will contact the new school’s SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
    •  We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • When moving classes in school:
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.
    • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made with them.
    • The children will visit their new class room and be introduced to their new environment.
  • In Year 6
    • The Inclusion Leader will attend the Primary Transition Day to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school, and the specialist session for students with an ASD, as appropriate.
    • Your child will attend a small group in school, to support their understanding of the changes ahead. This may include creating a ‘Personal Passport’ which includes information about themselves for their new school.
    • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
    • Staff from the new school will be invited to the final review of your child’s Statement or EHC plan.


How many students did we have at our school with statements or EHC plans at the end of July 2019?

6 EHC plans       

How many students did we have at SEN Support at the end of July 2019?


What were the outcomes for children within our school with SEND for 2018/2019?

At the end of Key Stage 2 there were 11 pupils on SEN support and 4 on EHC Plans. Of those on SEN Support 1 pupil (7%) was at the expected level in Reading, Writing and Maths by the end of Key Stage 2. Of those on EHC Plans, 1 pupil was working towards expected standards and 3 were working at Pre Key Stage Levels.


Key Stage 2 Number of SEN Support at expected % of SEN Support at expected
Reading, Writing and Maths 1 7%
Reading 4 27%
Writing TA 6 40%
Maths 2 13%


At the end of Key Stage 1 there were 7 pupils on SEN Support, no pupils with an EHC Plan and 2 SEN pupils were assessed at Pre Key Stage Standards.


Key stage 1 number of sen support at or above expected % of sen support at expected number of sen support above expected % of sen support above expected
Reading, Writing and Maths 4 57% 2 29%
Reading 5 71% 3 43%
Writing TA 4 57% 2 29%
Maths 5 71% 3 43%


What training did staff at our school have in SEND over the year 2018/2019?

SALT training for Foundation Stage Staff

STEPs Literacy workshops - 2 TAs

STEPs assessment training - 2 TAs

Intensive Interaction - 1 TA

Inference Training - all staff

Beads of Life (EP) - 3 TAs and FSW

Addressing gaps in maths - 1 TA

SEN Maths - 2 TAs


Attention Autism - 1TA

Shape Coding (SALT) - SEN TAs

Sensory Stories (ASD or) - 2 TAs

ADHD Training - SENCo and BSW

Inclusion not Exclusion - 3 staff members

Electronic EHCp - SENCo

Drawing and Talking - SENCo

Understanding ASD Diagnosis - SENCo

Pre Key Stage Assessment - SENCo

SENCO Networks and workshops

What was in the Headteacher’s report to the Governors about SEND in 2018/2019?

See Report 

Have there been any other important changes in SEND over the year 2018/2019?

In July the Learning mentor retired. The SEMH TA will develop some of the Learning Mentor roles.



Personal Learning Plan


Statement stage of the SEN Code of Practice


Special Educational Needs

SEN Code of Practice

The legal document that sets out the requirements for SEN

EHC plan

Education, Health, Care Plan


Special Educational Needs


Special Educational Needs and or disabilities


Speech and Language Therapist


Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service


Educational Psychologist


Special Educational Needs Coordinator


Autistic Spectrum Disorder


Occupational Therapist